Study Highlights Pros & Cons of CGM Use in Children

A study by scientists in America at the Jaeb Center for Health Research in Tampa, Florida has found several interesting benefits and challenges to children with Type 1 Diabetes who use a CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor).

55 parents of children aged between 1-7 years took part in the study. Each child had been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes for at least 6 months and each had an HbA1c of below 91.3 mmol/mol or 10.5%.

Each child and parent had varying degrees of experience of using a CGM. 85% of those involved in the study were current CGM users, while the remaining 15% had previously used a CGM.

Parents noted a number of positives from CGM use, including:

  • Better sleep
  • More informed decisions
  • Less stress or worry
  • Decrease in child safety concerns

While some of the negatives included:

  • Skin irritation
  • Painful insertions
  • Disruptive alarms
  • Confusing data

Researchers noted: “It is possible that those reporting technical problems may have given up using CGM based on negative experiences with early generation devices.

“Indeed, given marked improvements in performance, insertion ease, and duration of sensor wear, it may be important to ensure families of young children receive up-to-date education about current diabetes devices.”

Kellee Miller, the lead author of the study, said: “Attention to individual differences in parents and to temperamental differences in young children can inform clinical strategies to support families in making diabetes management decisions, and pave the way to future success of various diabetes management devices, including CGM and automated insulin delivery systems.”

No CGM brands were mentioned in the study and further information can be found in the journal Diabetes Technology &Therapeutics.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *